Monday, February 11, 2013

Are you tuned in to the right station? - Job 33:14

I always knew my Dad was in a bad mood when I heard him listening to the that Classical Music favorite Wagner (pronounced of course with a V, as in Vagner). Wagner has so many wonderfully dark pieces that it seemed to help him feel better when he was angry or upset. The book of Job seems to provide a similar outlet when we are going thru more challenging times. I call Job the "Co-misery book". Funny thing is, when things are in the "not so bad" category, the increased objectivity tends to allow for more accurate application of its timeless truths.

Job 33:14 says the following: "For God does speak - now one way, now another - though man may not perceive it." (NIV)

A colleague of mine once confided to me that he was awaiting his special experience with God. When asked to elaborate further he said he heard stories of people having been touched by God in very clear and certain ways. I have a real compassion for this expectation as I think he's not alone here. There are many out there just like him waiting to follow God when they clearly hear from Him in an overtly supernatural fashion. In the words from the that wonderful 70's Christian Oldie "Day By Day", if God wants me to "follow thee more nearly", then he's going to have to "show Himself more clearly".... day by day (enter a music symbol here).

What strikes me as interesting is that I believe as Christians we make this attribute of our relationship with God too central to our testimony. I'll bet this missing experiential element is, more often than we think, a concrete stumbling block for people whose current status is more "fence straddling". I think you know what I'm saying. I personally love to hear the "road to Damascus" stories. I'll always be excited to hear about the extraordinary supernatural ways of God. That said, we should also remember the doubting Thomas story: "... blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29 (NIV) There are many out there who believe yet have not had that experience. So, how do we respond here?

First of all, for all those out there who have had "less than extraordinary" epiphanies... learn to evangelize! The Kingdom is counting on you! Now, I'm only being slightly humorous here. Let's be honest. There are more testimonials out there of this type than the other. I wonder sometimes if Christians feel that due to their "ordinary" experience they should not testify. Who would have known that yours is the missing testimony. Hey... "I found Jesus in the middle of an Anglican Church service"... now THAT'S extra interesting!

Second, for those that HAVE experienced God in special ways, by all means share them. It is a critical element of the passion in your testimony. Having said that, share the rest of the story as well. When the blinding light is over, and the scales fall, our relationship with God becomes a more gradual experience. It's a wondrous and path altering experience, but gradual none the less.

Finally, find the right channel to listen to. My Dad and I used to scan the AM Radio airwaves late at night so that we could hear far away stations. It took some careful tuning, but we could always get something interesting. Remember in your own life as well as when you share with others, that God speaks to each of us in differing ways. In my life, while it may be a trite expression, it tends to be in the still small voice. God speaks to others in verses that arise during a quiet time, still other's during prayer, ... and the list goes on. It's hard to compare because it's different with each of us. Bottom line, you need to expect His communication with you and be listening for the unique way it happens.

Because of all the static you hear, my Dad would grow bored with the whole activity of finding far away radio stations and walk out of the room. Ever hopeful, I would keep on scanning. Suddenly, I would find a radio station in Seattle, Washington. The excitement was palpable at that moment. The wonder and excitement of hearing from God is the same thing. When you hear and realize that you have just heard from God, that ordinary experience changes to an excitement that becomes addicting. You can't wait to hear Him again. The ordinary, changes to the extra ordinary.

Happy scanning!

In His Grace,
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment