Saturday, January 19, 2013

Give 'em a Candy Bar - Matthew 18

Ok. Here is the verse:

“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector. (Matthew 18:15-17 NIV)

When I was in College, I lived with my Grandmother during a couple of summers.  When you were upset or angry about something, my Grandmother figured you needed a candy bar.  She probably figured that any issue could be cured with chocolate.  I'm of the mind that she is not too far off.  I love chocolate!

Personally, it has been my experience that difficulties, interpersonal challenges / arguments... whatever you wish to call them many times stem from a lack of focus in the Church.  We have all heard and read that Churches, in order to stay healthy, need constantly to be focused on "Mission".  I'm not certain I ever really disagreed, but time has taught me the truth in this wisdom.

Mission work can be defined in many ways.  The bottom line here is that is not just working with the poor in foreign countries.  It can be working with the poor and disadvantaged in the USA.  It can be working with poor in your own county or your own neighborhood.  Mission work is truly any way you reach out to and work with others as ambassadors of Christ's love.  As a Church, we need to be constantly reaching out to our communities, our country and out world.

Mission causes us to focus on the "Love one another" command from Christ.  When we help others we are really carry out Christ's command to love one another.  The early Church was started with this kind of giving back to others.  It keeps us focused on loving, in Christ's way.

Mission work turns the focus from ourselves to others.  No great shock here, but when we are busy (really busy) we tend to forget about our problems, our tiffs, our arguments, etc.  My Grandmother used to like to keep me busy.  Being a parent myself these days, I totally understand that tactic.

All in all Mission work is the gift that keeps on giving.


No comments:

Post a Comment