Friday, January 18, 2013

The Search for Truth - 2 Timothy 3:7

Now, I should say this before we get too far.  There are 10 readings per day with this Bible Reading Plan.  Thus, one might think it impossible not to have something on which to blog each day.  This is true, and I actually may find myself blogging more than I think.  Difference here is that I will admit now that fatigue will play a definite part.  Some mornings I will do well to complete my 10 readings.  (That said, all with the gift of encouragement... hit the comment button here and there.  Encouragement will be welcome.)

Now, one of today's readings is from 2 Timothy Chapter 3.  It is in this chapter we find that well known verse "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness", (2 Timothy 3:16 NIV)  While I love this verse, the one that actually captured my attention was the below verse:

"always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth." (2 Timothy 3:7 NIV)

I am not unlike many.  I love to learn.  I enjoy reading as well as watching biographies, documentaries, etc... Biographies provide me with an appreciation of the the struggle behind the strength, the story behind the glory.  The whole idea of learning from others is to somehow attain a knowledge of what was the secret to a persons success.  Put simply - Why are successful people... well... successful?

First, most successful people are willing to believe in something and work tirelessly to make that "something" happen.  In a word: endurance.  You struggle, you test, you gather data, until you have achieved your goal.  You never give up.

Second, they stopped learning (per se) and started "knowing".  I have heard and read many times of people who were "searching for the truth".  Emily and I enjoy doing family research and love happening on a document that shows a relative existed; where they were born, married, etc.  We print it out, bookmark it and it gives us a clearer picture of the story of our existence.  People are unsuccessful in finding the truth because when they happen on it, they are unwilling to believe.

How does this all apply to Christians?  Bottom line: Don't just read and memorize scripture (a good and productive discipline), understand and apply scripture.  That said, we as Christians need to understand the bottom line and work the rest backwards.  God knew there was no remedy for our sinful nature.  Thus, He sent Jesus: the perfect and final sacrifice allowing us access to God the Father thru God the Son.  We need just accept Him and ask God the Spirit to indwell us.  We then can read the documents that have endured all these many centuries and attain a clearer understanding of the story behind the Glory and the struggle behind the strength.

We then need to stop searching and start loving.

Blessings, Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment